Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nearly-Near-Death Experience

So, this morning I had just taken a shower and was walking into my bedroom to get dressed, when all of a sudden something flew through the window at like 200 miles per hour. Luckily Nathan and Emilie were in the other room and somehow what glass I was pelted with didn't cut me (I wasn't really wearing any clothing.) After the shock wore off I realized that the lawn maintenance people were mowing the grass less area behind the houses and a rock must have been shot out and gone through the window. Why they were mowing there? No idea, but I'm pretty sure it was a bad idea and unnecessary. The rock flew across the yard about 50 feet, through the window, through the closed blinds, across the room (about 20 feet) hit the wall and chipped it, and landed in the trashcan. Oh, and sent glass shattering all over the bedroom, hallway and into Emilie's room across the house, about 40 feet away. I'm sure it doesn't seem very dramatic, but I really could have been injured and was very lucky to escape unscathed. I really tried to keep that in mind as I cleaned up tiny shards of glass for the next two hours! Okay, so it really wasn't even close to a near death experience, but It was the most exciting thing to happen around here in a while. Check out the damage.


Not very big, but oh so deadly!



See the grass less patches, that's what they were mowing.

That's all glass

The scariest part is we sleep with Emilie in our room at night, so we keep the pack and play right under that window. I can't express how grateful I am that she wasn't in her little bed! On a happier note, Emilie has learned how to pull herself up on things. I'm not sure this is a good thing, but it is fun to watch.I love that chubby bum!

She didn't pull herself up here, but she loves to stand up on things and pat.

Please note that Nathan was there to catch her in case she fell.

I found a safe place to let her stand! I love the pack and play, and so does Em.

After every picture she would make this face for a minute or two. So goofy.

Em has some incredible strength. My friend Darcy says she likes to do Pilate's. Here are some of her favorite poses;

You start out in the crawling position;
Then move to downward facing dog (which is really a yoga move, so she actually does yogalate's); I find this exceptionally dangerous because she loves to do this on the hard tile floor and in the bathtub.

Then endlessly hold your head and legs off the ground (she has been doing this for a few months and it makes it impossible to measure her at the doctors office. We say she does her sit-ups)
Finish by holding your body off the ground as much as possible while laying on your side. Apparently this workout gives you very chubby thighs, and the most adorable little body ever!

We were playing in her sock basket and made boots with a bunch of layers of socks. I do know that she really isn't a doll, but she is fun to play with.

You can't see her new tooth, but it really is there!


Random I know, but I just love to look at her newborn baby pictures. She is a little over a week old here. I wouldn't change a thing about my baby, but sometimes I really long to hold that tiny newborn just one more time. Babies really do grow too fast :(

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Man I'm glad that you are ok. That could have been bad if that rock would have hit you.

And on a happier note, Em is so cute! I lvoe the faces that she makes. And you are lucky that she loves her play pen. Amelia hated hers. She hated it with a passion. Anytime she got near it she would FREAK OUT! lol

Holly said...

wow, I am glad the rock didnt hit anyone. Thats so crazy, I would be so mad about the window. What did the base say about it?? Are they going to fix it quickly? That would have stunk picking up all those little peices! Well emily looks adorable and cant believe she is getting so big!!!

Tara D. said...

I can't believe that rock flew through your window like that with such force. I'm so glad all of you are okay. So, did you run outside and give those men a piece of your mind?