Monday, April 7, 2008

If It Ain't Broke... Break It?


I know I am stubborn. When I was first born the hospital nurses brought me to my Mom and said she was in trouble, this baby knows what she wants. They tried to bottle feed me formula and sugar water, they tried pacifiers and fingers. But I wanted to nurse. Sometimes I will try and get my way even if everything tells me it's wrong. I'm often stubborn to a fault and this weekend was one of those times. I am (still) talking about Em's formula! Okay, so we tried the stinky stuff, and thought things were better. I even took Em in the car and she didn't scream the entire time, which really is a big improvement. But after a few days of the stench, I started to convince myself that maybe it really wasn't the formula change, we were just having a few good days. Also, I focused on the fact that Em really hadn't pooed for a few days, so, I put Emilie back on regular formula. You know, just to see what would happen. Well, finally she pooped. EVERYWHERE! I swear it bleached her onesie (it did, I know it did) which I took as a sign that the Alimentum is bad and all chemically and stuff. Even though two seperate pediatricians have said to keep her on it my "signs" were telling me she is fine with regular formula. The first day on reg. stuff she spit up. A LOT. So I told myself okay, nothing out of the ordinary. Besides, the only thing that will stop the spit-up is time, no medicine or formula can make her tummy mature. Well, Nathan pointed out she was fussier than she was before I switched back. Eh, it was the weekend and he really isn't around during the week so does he really know? Besides, some days are worse than others. Then the second day, things got worse. Emilie was spitting up constantly, like 3 hours after she had eaten. That is normal sometimes, but not this amount. As a last ditch effort before we sentenced ourselves to life with Alimentum, we tried soy, again. The only other time Emilie had soy was in the middle of the night a few months ago. In the morning, she had thrown up everything she had eaten during her sleep (thank goodness she sleeps on her side!) We thought she had a big burp or a tummy bug, but put her back on regular formula just in case it was the soy. Well, I now know it was no burp or bug. Emilie is HIGHLY intolerant to soy formula. We fed her once, and two hours later she retched and heaved until there was no soy left! My poor baby. I feel terrible about it, but I really meant well. So, I have officially learned my lesson. We will be keeping her on the Alimentum from here on out, unless our pediatrician says otherwise. I am okay, because I have found that the ready-to-feed liquid is much less stinky and much thicker (it might stay down better) along with being much easier to prepare. It's more expensive than powder, but I think we can get it covered by WIC or our insurance. Anyhow, the moral of the story is, if it ain't broke...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Miralax really worked on Addie when she had sooooo many stomach problems. I know how bad this can be and one day it will all stop and she will feel great and you will find something new to worry about. Until then the miralax did make life a little better in the going poop area. She was a much happier baby.
Laura